Thursday, October 14, 2010

A little bump in the road...

So, I failed my 3 hour glucose test.  Not exactly in the plans for me to deal with gestational diabetes, but this has proved to be a "shining moment."  I found out the news on Monday and was pretty devastated the rest of the day.  It's hard to not think that you did something wrong, but I know I have been doing well eating and getting an "ok" amount of exercise during my pregnancy, so I was shocked to say the least.  Both Keith and I have a huge family history of diabetes, so this plays into a bit, too, I think.  Needless to say, our little girl is also measuring 3 weeks ahead, which means the sugar levels have been affecting her growth.  After playing through all of the negative consequences of GD, I put on my big girl pants and have been "dealing" with the situation since.  The first step is getting a blood glucose meter and meeting with a dietician.  I have  already changed my diet, and hopefully that will be enough to control my blood sugars, but if not, I will have to start taking medication.  The great news is that I'm almost 32 weeks, so it's only about 8 more until I deliver, so it's a pretty short term thing.

Let's follow that with some good news--the nursery is pretty much done!  We have little touches here and there, but the big stuff is done.  Keith's sister and her husband painted for us, which was a HUGE blessing as neither of us have really done much painting (not that it's rocket science, but still...it was much appreciated).  Now that everything is put in its place, I feel like we are getting really ready for our little girl to come into the world.  I'd still like to get some casseroles made and some deep cleaning done before December, but...we have time for that :)  I'm sure the next nesting spree will get some of that done!

Please continue to pray for the gestational diabetes and that my sugars would be controlled.  Also, that our little girl would stay a "normal" size so that a vaginal birth is still an option--I'm not against a c-section, but it's definitely not my first choice for delivery.  In the end, I know that God is in control and he has our best interests in mind, including those of our unborn child.  Enjoy the pics!

 30 weeks

31 weeks





1 comment:

J mom said...

Oh the nursery turned out so cute! Great work! I am praying for the GD. I can imagine it was quite a blow and know that if anyone can handle it - it's you guys! Hang in there, God is good!