Wednesday, August 20, 2008

2 months and counting!


These past 8 months have FLOWN by.  With a few rocky spots conveniently interspersed, the Smiths are MAKING IT!  We are on the downhill slope of this 12 month deployment, and have only 2 months left until Keith comes home for his leave.  We are so excited to be together again, even if only for a couple of weeks.  We have nothing planned, but want it to be that way :)

God has done amazing things in both of our lives during this separation, and we are confident that He will continue to do so.  For me, God has really been showing me (above everything else) that he means this time of separation to be a blessing.  He desires to bless me as I draw nearer to Him in the absence of my husband.  I think that as a wife I have placed too much of my trust in my husband, and not enough in my eternal Father.  When you are "doing life" with someone, it seems like a natural switch--one I had too easily gotten accustomed to--until that husband of mine left the country and suddenly our lines of communication, touch, and (in some ways) our relationship was severed to a certain degree.  I was left feeling alone--and in walks my superhero--God himself--saying I'm here, I always have been and I always will be--lean on ME from now on--I won't leave you or desert you, and I desire to have an intimate relationship with you more that Keith could ever dream of--I created you!  I know we've all heard this many many times, but for the first time, that idea has seemed tangible to me.  With Keith not here to talk to and confide in---my focus has returned to trusting in God.  It was (and will continue to be) a big lesson for me to take away from this deployment.  I often ask myself if God saw that I wouldn't be able to learn this lesson any other way--he had to strip me of the man that I loved so that there was no one else to interfere with my relationship with him--so that I could put him first daily and not have to worry about "being a wife"--cooking supper, doing laundry, watching movies.  These are all amazing things that I look forward to doing with Keith when he gets home, but at the same time, with my priorities more "in check" I know that these events will be that much more enjoyable--after all, I am expecting much more out of the God of the Universe and much less out of my earthly, human husband--how great will that be for the both of them!?

Thank you for indulging me on that--it makes much more sense on paper than it did in my head.  All in all, when your trust is in the Lord and you look to Him for companionship, your relationship with your husband will be much better--at least, that is what I have experienced thus far--and I don't see it changing any time soon. 

We praise God for keeping Keith and all of the soldiers safe, and continue to ask for your prayers for their safe travel both within and out of the country as soldiers are traveling back and forth for leave.  I will let you all know about a "Welcome Home" party when we have one in the works--Keith would love to see EVERYONE when he gets home :)  Take care and hopefully we can talk soon!

Crystal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What amazing perspective God has been letting you see, Crystal! It's such good stuff.
You're wonderful! Thank you for sharing. :)

J mom said...

I agree it is so easy to become dependent on what you can see and feel everyday - you have a great perspective though a difficult one. We can't wait to see you in Sept. Let me know you schedule a bit better so we can make arrangements for having you stay with us as long as you like : )